State of the Reddit 2023: The Neverending Quest for Mods, No we cannot make it easier to together with your Homework, and about sources.
With 2023 having crept up on us, it is a good time to speak in regards to the state of r/historical past. Over the previous 12 months the reddit has continued to develop, and I took over as head moderator of the reddit roughly eight months in the past.
As you possibly can in all probability inform, this subreddit is fairly closely moderated. Each single publish *should* be accredited by a mod first, and each refusal will in all probability have it is personal refusal cause. As such we now have a necessity for mods, there’s loads of work that wants doing on a daily bases.
Now, we do have a everlasting [link for mod applications](https://www.reddit.com/r/historical past/wiki/mod_application/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=historical past&utm_content=t5_2qh53#mod) however I will level it out once more.
# What can we anticipate from /r/historical past moderators?
Here’s a fast overview of the overall issues we’re in search of:
* **Skilled with reddit and** /r/historical past**:** We’re in search of skilled redditors who’ve been energetic on reddit with an account that’s at the least 1 12 months previous. Along with that we’re in search of individuals who have contributed productively to this group.
* **A agency curiosity in historical past:** We wish folks which can be within the topic, so clearly you could have a agency curiosity in historical past.
* **Communicative in direction of customers and fellow moderators:** You’ll talk with different customers frequently, for this you could be communicative, mature and civil. Plenty of mod selections are mentioned in our backroom subreddit, modmail and discord, so you have to to have the ability to work nicely along with the opposite staff members.
* **Free time:** You need not have a ton of time in your fingers, however if you get accepted you need to have sufficient time to really perform moderating duties.
* **Thick pores and skin:** historical past is a topic folks usually attempt to use to push their agenda. When they aren’t allowed to take action they’ll get quite nasty.
* **Willingness to put in and use third occasion instruments:** This consists of browser extensions aimed toward mods as discovered on [/r/toolbox](https://previous.reddit.com/r/toolbox) that are important for moderating in addition to utilizing functions for chatting with the staff on discord.
Among the obligations embrace:
* Assessment unmoderated hyperlinks and modqueue reviews and take away off subject and rule breaking content material.
* Reply subscriber questions in modmail.
* Implement sidebar guidelines.
If in case you have no thought how moderating works on reddit and wish to try extra about that first you possibly can take a look at [this guide](https://www.reddit.com/r/creesch/wiki/historymod101).
## What do I get in return?
There isn’t a financial reward as it’s all volunteer work. Nonetheless you do get a greater subreddit in return and a really pleasant staff work with.
## Nice, how do I apply?
## How lengthy will the functions be open for?
We’re at all times in search of new moderators so there isn’t any finish date as it’s an ongoing course of.
And that is it!
Secondly, Homework questions.
# We aren’t right here to reply your homework questions.
This is applicable to college students, PhD college students, authors, award profitable movie administrators and everybody else. If you happen to’re asking for homework assist, your publish just isn’t going to get accredited. Mod discretion applies right here, if it appears like homework and smells like homework, it is getting the chop. They do not are inclined to generate any respectable dialogue and there are reddits and folks much better to ask than us.
That is in all probability the commonest sort of publish that will get rejected, nicely possibly tied with…
# PART THREE, THE QUEST FOR SOURCES!
So that you’re in search of a guide on the Second Punic Warfare, or a documentary on The Seven Yr Warfare, or an article on Sexuality on the Publish-Classical Maya, these all belong within the weekly Wednesday thread. In any other case we’d all drown in requests. We even have an [extensive reading list here.](https://www.reddit.com/r/historical past/wiki/recommendedlist/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=historical past&utm_content=t5_2qh53)
And that is it. Have a cheerful 2023 and ensure to continue learning historical past.
Comment ( 1 )
On a sidenote, how well do you think ChatGPT answer history questions, assuming someone decide not to process it and just use it “as-is”? (didn’t sign up for openAI)